Thursday, July 21, 2016

Extra Credit - World's Fastest Processing Speed

While discussing data throughput and the progression of modem speeds, Andrew asked us to search for the fastest processing speed.  I found that just recently, in February 2016, according to an article in gizmag.com, University College London has developed a new optical communication system that processes at 1.125 terabits per second.  To put that into perspective, according to the researchers, “the entire HD series of the TV show Game of Thrones could be downloaded in less than one second.” (Jeffery. 12 Feb. 2016)

Gizmag.com reported in May of 2016 that German researchers have set a new world record for wireless data transfer at 6 Gigabits per second. That is “the equivalent of the entire contents of a conventional DVD in under 10 seconds.” (Mack. 24 May 2016)  The team is trying to create an alternate to fiber optic cable for broadband providing fast reliable internet connections. 
As someone who remembers having a 28.8K and 56.6K modem and then my first T1 line, I am having a hard time wrapping my head around this new development.  And yet, I get frustrated when I have to wait 2 minutes to heat my tea in the microwave or wait for an email to get to me from my coworker next door due to a fire wall.  It has me questioning, will be ever be satisfied?  Will computational speed ever be fast enough? 

Now, more than ever, it is important to unplug and remember that not all things must happen instantaneously.  AND, we must teach our children these lessons.  They are growing up in a world where everything is granted to them as soon as they ask the question.  There is something to be said for patience and realizing something after a long wait.   

No comments:

Post a Comment