Tuesday, June 21, 2016

What I want out of this class; Living and Working in the Virtual World




I've never been "good with technology" and I feel I need to catch up. Understanding the history of the internet and World Wide Web is fascinating and I have enjoyed the lectures thus far.  I am looking forward to going beyond the history and I hope to better understand the implications of being on the Web and how I should protect myself, my privacy, and the privacy of my daughter.

I remember vividly the first time I logged onto the Web in 1995--looking back it is funny to remember how foreign the concept was (and how slow!).  Listening to Andrew's lectures this week has me thinking, "Wow, we've come a long way!"  1995 was only 21 years ago and yet in 1995 I had to log onto the web using my desktop computer, or maybe a laptop that weighed more than two bricks, using a modem and telephone cable connection.  At that time, I did not own a cell phone, let alone the mini-computer that I carry with me everywhere today.   I got my personal email address, barbara_renee@hotmail.com, in 1996.  Yes, the same one I use today! I used email to keep in touch with my family and friends as I was living in Ann Arbor and most of my connections were still in Washington. I've had other work email addresses, but this address has been a constant, my permanent address that has followed me through multiple physical moves in four different states over the last 20 years.  

As I try to remember when using the Web for more than just email became part of my daily life, I cannot.  It is like asking me to remember when I started sleeping on the left side of the bed or when I switched from chardonnay to pinot gris as my summer wine.  It just is.  I remember in high school and when I was first in college using encyclopedias and reference tools like the card catalog at the library to look up what I needed.  But when did it become second nature to “google” to find the answer or lead me on a path of discovery?  I am glad that I had the opportunity to do research prior to the Web, it gives me a greater appreciation for how much easier life is now.  And I think I am a better problem solver and researcher for having done it the “old fashioned way.”   I hope this class will give me, and my classmates, an even greater appreciation of the tool we now cannot live without.  

No comments:

Post a Comment